LASIK (Laser-Assisted in Situ Keratomileusis) eye surgery is a revolutionary procedure that has transformed the lives of millions by providing clear, crisp vision without the need for glasses or contact lenses.
Understanding LASIK Surgery
LASIK surgery is a refractive surgical procedure designed to correct common vision problems, such as nearsightedness (myopia), farsightedness (hyperopia) and astigmatism. It involves reshaping the cornea, the clear front part of the eye, using a laser, which allows light to focus properly onto the retina, resulting in improved vision.
Benefits of LASIK Surgery
- Enhanced Vision: LASIK surgery can significantly improve vision, providing clear and sharp eyesight without the need for glasses or contact lenses.
- Quick and Convenient: The procedure itself is quick, typically lasting only a few minutes per eye, and most patients experience rapid visual recovery within a day or two.
- Long-lasting Results: The effects of LASIK surgery are usually permanent, providing stable vision correction for years to come.
- Versatility: LASIK can address a wide range of refractive errors, including myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism, making it a versatile solution for many individuals.
The LASIK Surgery Procedure
- Preoperative Evaluation: Our optometrist will conduct a comprehensive evaluation, including corneal measurements, visual acuity tests and a review of your overall eye health.
- Corneal Reshaping: Using a femtosecond laser or microkeratome, a thin flap is created on the cornea. The flap is then lifted and an excimer laser is used to precisely reshape the corneal tissue according to the individual’s unique prescription.
- Flap Re-positioning: After reshaping the cornea, the flap is carefully repositioned, allowing it to heal naturally without the need for stitches.
- Postoperative Care: Patients will receive instructions on postoperative care, including the use of prescribed eye drops, avoiding certain activities and attending follow-up appointments to monitor the healing process.
Considerations and Candidacy
To determine candidacy for LASIK surgery, individuals must meet certain criteria, such as stable vision, good overall eye health and a realistic understanding of the procedure. A thorough evaluation with Dr. Reed Gibb is essential to assess suitability and discuss potential risks and benh3
If you are looking for the freedom to experience life without dependence on glasses or contact lenses, call Red Cliffs Eye Center at 435-634-0420 to learn more about LASIK surgery in St. George and Garfield County, Utah, and Ely and Lincoln City, Nevada.